New world is back. Player numbers are on the rise and the hype for the new Brimstone Sands expansion keeps growing day by day. A lot has changed over the past year, including some fundamental tweaks to how you level, how you progress your gear score, and how you deal with endgame. This guide for returning players covers everything you need to know to get back into the game.
We’ll cover the new Gypsum and Expertise system, how the new fast travel and storage system works, how you complete mutated versions of Expeditions, and lots of other useful tips, tricks, and information you might have missed.
What should you do first as a returning player?
If you come back to the game after a long, long hiatus, there’s probably a lot going on, and you are completely lost. That’s good, and to be expected, really.
- The best thing to do is take stock of your equipment – Which version were you even using? Is it still viable? Head to the trading post and choose new gear (if you have the gold). Aim for the highest gear score and don’t worry too much about perks etc.
- It’s probably time to find out about expeditions. You should be running Genesis, Lazarus, Heart of the Tempest, and the new Barnacle Pirate Expedition. No need for a key to enter. You can run these dungeons 25 times per day at no cost. There is also a party finder tool which you can access by tapping the Expedition icon on the map.
- Do chest strokes. Yes, they are still there, but things might be a little different since your last playthrough. You can now run Imperial Palace, Siren Pools, Malevolence, and Mangled Heights as boss and monster levels have been increased. This gives you a lot more options than Shattered Mines and Myrkgard. Ask in chat to join a group – you might see spam from “+imp” or “+siren”.
- Join a business. Businesses are still a big deal in the New World, and you’ll want to strive to find a good business with active players.
- Check your housing and storage. You will see that your house is still there and you may have some decent items stored away. Take stock and sell what you can for some extra gold. You can now move items between warehouses in different cities to no additional charges.
- Next, start working on your gear score. Read below to find out more.
Gear Score Progression
It’s probably the biggest fundamental change to how New World endgame works. In the past, the so-called “watermark” system was not something players liked. An invisible number that dictated your gear score? It wasn’t great.
Now things are much better. There are two big changes: Gypsum and know-how.
How Gypsum Works in the New World
Gypsum is a new system that allows you to increase the gear score of your items by completing a range of different tasks. Gypsum can be crafted into gypsum at the new gypsum kilns in high-level outposts at Edengrove, Shattered Mountain, etc.
There are several different gypsums you can unlock each day.
- Obsidian Gypsum (3 per day) – Kill level 60+ named creatures.
- Ruby Gypsum (2 per day) – Complete two rounds of Outpost Rush.
- Emerald Gypsum (1 per day) – Obtain an Aptitude level (your business skills).
- Sapphire Gypsum (2 per day) – Defeat the final boss of the Genesis and Lazarus Expeditions.
- Citrine Gypsum (1 per day) – You can earn one per day by completing an arena.
- Amethyst Gypsum (7 per day) – You can earn up to seven per day by completing Corrupted Portals.
- Diamond Gypsum (3 per day) – You can earn them by completing various special events (most recently was the summer fair, but we are planning a new event soon during the holidays).
- Topaz Gypsum (10 per day) – You can earn ten per day by defeating any level 55+ monster while you have the Topaz Attunement Potion buff.
You can turn this Gypsum into Gypsum Orbs which have a 1 day cooldown. This brings us neatly to the next section of this guide: Expertise.
How expertise works in the new world
Expertise is a new gear score tier that will dictate your overall gear score. Expertise is acquired by opening of the gypsum boxes of the ovenby defeat high level monsters and get a dropor by complete various chest races on the map. Yes, the Chest Runs are still there.
Expertise will then take an average of your Gear Score and Expertise Level to determine your overall Gear Score. All of this is displayed in-game and you can track your progress day by day.
At the current rate, if you left the game at level 60 with almost no gear score progress, the new system will allow you to reach 600-625 in a few weeks depending on your playing time.
How to prepare for the Brimstone Sands expansion
Brimstone Sands is the next area to unlock in New World. It’s a 60+ year old area with new monsters, expeditions, quests and items. Here’s what you should have ready before the expansion launches, if you have time to prepare.
- Business skills – New items will require high-level trade skills to refine/craft/use. have your 200 weapon crafting and Stone size at 200 is a great idea. This is because of the addition of new Heart Rune Gems and Runeglass Gems. These are essentially ultimate abilities. (We’ll cover these in an upcoming guide).
- Get your gear score at 600+
- Start collecting gypsum. You will need Gypsum to craft some of these ultra late items.
Fresh Start Servers
There is a suggestion that we will have starter servers with the launch of the new expansion. It is because of the revamped leveling experience up to level 25. Town Council has been nerfed significantly, but quests have been significantly improved.
If you return to the game after a long time, it might be a good idea to hop on one of these servers. There will be more people enjoying the game content and early game expeditions, and the savings will be totally reset.
NEXT: Brimstone Sands New World Preview: A New Frontier One Year On